Thursday, February 7, 2013

What the Christian West Used to Sound Like - and Will Sound Like Again

On my previous post featuring sacred music, I noticed that some comments made it seem as though the Christian East's music was the best by far. 

In light of this, I wanted to highlight the fact that the Christian West's offerings in the world of sacred music were once some of the most glorious ever penned and sung - in many places, these forms of music are still in use, it's just that we Roman Catholics have to search a little harder for them lately.  Luckily, my parish features some very good sacred music, so I am very fortunate.

Anyways, here are some beautiful examples of specifically western Catholic music that I wish to share (and there's more to the Catholic West than Gregorian Chant!):


4 comments:

  1. I love ALL that music- just beautiful!

    (I like your new blog header as well)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both the East and west have wonderful liturgical music, shame that the modern stuff is awful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once a month, at the 9:30 am Saturday mass, at St. Andrew's Cathedral in Victoria, BC, the Gregorian schola sings all the Gregorian mass propers for the day. The next mass is Satuday, March 16 at 9:30 am. Hope you can make it.
    Scott

    ReplyDelete